How is the harmony in your relationships – your family, colleagues, clients, others?
Well, most of us struggle with that.
My wife, Mary and I spent an incredible evening at the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow hosted by a client who had us speaking at a large convention of about 12,000 business owners.
The night was magical, even though I’ve never been a ballet kind of guy.
The dancing was stunning, the artists impeccable, the venue supreme and the music breath taking.
It reminded me of George Bernard Shaws comment, “in the right key you can say anything; in the wrong key nothing. The only delicate part of life is establishing the key.”
So listening to the orchestra even while tuning up here’s what I learned. Take a look and see what you think.
- You must listen to the people/instruments around you.
- You need to constantly make adjustments.
- It’s OK to get out of key but you need to quickly get back in.
- You need to master your instrument – you listening and communication skills.
- You need to submit to the maestro.
- You need to practice, listen, adjust until you get in key and then work to stay in key.
- We’re all different with differing gifts and abilities so celebrate your role and gifts and join the team in making beautiful music.
That’s my take on this. How about you?
Do you stop and smell the roses? REALLY?
Look, life is so busy, so crowded, so overwhelming that you just need to stop and stop often (even if it is for a few minutes every day) and smell the roses.
Here’s some thoughts ….
- take the a short walk in the woods or around the block
- notice a child laugh
- utter a prayer
- meditate on some great truth
- really listen to someone
- have a good belly laugh
- smell a rose really
- look around and enjoy the beauty of creation.
This video blog is my experience as my wife, Mary and I walked through the beautiful Gorky Park in Moscow during Fall, 2012.
Tell me what you do to smell the roses in your life.
What are you think about right now? What did you think about today? This week? Routinely?
I want you to learn to think deeply about life, your future, what you value, who is important in your life and the kind of impact you are having personally and professionally.
Take 30 minutes just to think about these things today. Take some notes. Come away with at least one insight about yourself, your life and/or your future.
Tell me what you learn.
It’s one thing to gain knowledge. That is exploding exponentially today. It’s another thing to gain understanding (how to apply knowledge). And, it is a huge thing to turn both of these into wisdom (skill and craftsmanship in living). Here are some of my thoughts here from Oxford University recently.
How are you doing in becoming a wise person – an artisan of living?
“God inhabits the praise of His people” the Scriptures say.
So, take time to praise and worship God with alone and with others.
Hear my thoughts here today as my wife, Mary and I spent time in our house of worship doing just that!